10 Reasons Why Yoga is a Businesswoman’s Best Friend – Part Two
In this second part of the 2 part article, Anne Noonan will share the next five reasons why your body loves yoga. Medical practitioners are prescribing yoga and mindfulness for a variety of reasons. Yoga is practised by children all the way through to people in their 90s.
Yoga is one of the best anti depressants, tension relievers and nervous system calming factors. At the same time it strengthens bones, boosts health and can prevent many autoimmune conditions. A healthy calm body can deal with everything business throws at it.
- Anxiety release. One of the most successful non medical ways to treat Anxiety is through deep breath and meditation. Try it now. Sit comfortably, eyes closed and take 20 slow deep, calm belly breaths in through the nose, let the diaphragm stretch and feel the belly rise. Exhale out through the nose. Count slowly to 5 as you inhale, count slowly to 7 as you exhale.
- Toning the body. As well as stretch, yoga teaches the body to move slowly into strong poses and hold for a short period of time. The power of slow deliberate strong movement can shape the body efficiently by elongating the muscles and toning the limbs.
- Muscle tension release. Holding tightness or pain in your shoulders from hours at the computer? Tight hips from sitting too long? Yoga releases this brilliantly where often many other forms of exercise will not.
- Osteoporosis. Yoga uses the resistance of the weight of the body. Many people believe yoga doesn’t create the body effect that weightlifting does. There are many yoga poses that put tension on the bones e.g. plank, downward dog, handstands and more. This strengthens bones and muscles reducing the risk of Osteoporosis. Even if you currently have the condition, gentle yoga can help keep the body limber and toned.
- Blood Sugar reduction. High Intensity Interval Training and Medium Intensity Interval Training the Yoga way can reduce blood sugar levels. Raised blood sugar creates increased potential for Diabetes, Heart Disease, Autoimmune conditions, Cancer and Obesity.
One of the best ways to keep the body toned, calm, tension free and strong is to adopt a regular yoga practice. Try some yoga for 10 minutes every morning, lunchtime and before going to bed. When your body is ‘living yoga’ your business and life in general responds in a calm, strong, deliberate manner.
If you missed Part 1 of this story you can read it here.