WNA Blog

Wed 15 Jul 2020

A Few Quiet Drinks On Your Well-Deserved Holidays?


Tourism & Travel
On New Year’s Eve 2012, Australian Liam Davies was celebrating with mates on Gili Trawangan, a tourist island off the north-west coast of Lombok. “Do you serve genuine imported spirits?” he asked the bartender, before ordering a vodka and lime. “Yes” they said.

 

They lied. Within days Liam was dead of methanol poisoning.

 

Sorry to be depressing, but ignorance is not bliss when it comes to methanol. Who would have thought, that something like having a little drink on holidays, could turn out so tragically. 

Every traveller who drinks spirits overseas needs to know about methanol. Methanol poisoning is a dangerous but grossly underestimated risk to travellers. Poisoning can happen anywhere, but it is more common where home-brewed spirits are widely available, such as IndonesiaThailand or Vietnam. Bar owners may lace spirits with methanol (aka ‘bootleg’to increase profits. Methanol is tasteless and odourless. 

The first symptoms of methanol poisoning feel like a hangover – even from one drink. It can take several hours after consumption before the symptoms of methanol poisoning appear. It becomes like a super hangover; bad headache, dizziness, vomiting, abdominal pain, breathlessness, impaired vision and, in severe cases, blindness (which can be permanent).

It just keeps getting worse, the body shuts down, and the poisoning leads to convulsions, coma and death. Urgent skilled medical care is required if the person has any hope of surviving. Usually by the time people realise its really serious, it is too late. 

But this is a completely avoidable problem – if you know about it. The best way to prevent methanol poisoning is don’t drink spirits or cocktails in less regulated countries (unless they are from your duty free allowance) 

If you must drink spirits, ensure you buy spirits from a reputable vendor, and check the seals on the bottles are intact. Be suspicious of alcoholic drinks offered for sale in informal settings that are not licensed to sell alcohol, (such as market stalls). Avoid open bottles of spirits– especially in beach bars. 

If the alcohol seems really cheap, maybe there is a reason? Of course, steer clear of alcoholic drinks sold in unlabelled containers, or illegal alcoholic drinks. Check the labels on branded productsif you can, looking for labels that are poorly printed or with errors.  

Spread the word – unfortunately this type of travel hazard is not well known. If you want more information just google methanol poisoning – sadly this problem is not rare.  

Travel medicine is not just vaccinations, its also about getting the information you need for a safe and healthy journey. Ideally have a travel consultation 6 weeks before departure.


Back to WNA Blog

Recent News

In The News
Mon 10 Aug 2020

In The News – Aussie Pooch Christine Taylor

Janelle Bostock
Digital Technology
Sat 8 Aug 2020

I am on social media, does my business still need a website?

Nici Bickley
Advertising & Marketing
Thu 6 Aug 2020

Are You Being Seen?

Stacy Farrell
Finance & Insurance
Wed 5 Aug 2020

Is Your Business Resilient Enough To Weather The Weather?

Jody Williams
Click to join the newsletter