How To Choose The Right Trademark Service Provider
Lots of companies offer trademarking as a service, but not all service providers do it well.
Finding the right service provider to take care of your trademarking can be like walking through a minefield.
If it’s your first time registering a trademark, there’s a good chance you won’t know what the process is, what to look for and what to avoid. It’s vital that you research any potential companies before you jump on board with them.
In this blog, we’ll help you navigate through the confusion and arm you with enough knowledge to choose a reputable trademarking service provider.
What makes a good trademarking service provider?
A reputable service provider will do far more than just fill out a form and process your application (and if this is all your chosen provider is doing, look elsewhere, fast!)
A trademark agent must have a strategy for the client before they start the application process.
They need to:
- Find out everything they can about the client’s current business and which countries they plan to trade in. Different countries will have different trademarking requirements.
- Understand why the client wants to trademark. Is it to stop others from using it? To protect themselves from others? Do they want to sell the business or licence the trademark to other traders?
- Find out what the client wants to protect – the wording, the logo, the packaging or a combination of these?
An agent must develop a deep understanding of the clients business so they can devise a strategy together that will best protect the client’s brand.
Whilst an average agent will just take your application and process it, a reputable service provider will let the client know about all the risks involved in an application. It’s not always smooth sailing! Sometimes the trademark will be already taken and the client may have to evaluate their whole business. Some trademarks are competitive to obtain, and the client might decide they don’t want to go through what can be a lengthy and expensive process.
The benefits of choosing the right service provider:
Knowing what you need and choosing the right service provider can save you a substantial amount of time, money and headaches. Here are some key points to consider when you’re hunting around.
What to look for:
- Customer service – are your phone calls returned within a reasonable time frame? Are your enquiries followed up? The first sign of an inefficient company is poor customer service.
- Knowledge – a trademarking service provider must know the ins and outs of trademarking. They need a trademark protection strategy for the overall business and need to provide you with valuable information.
- Client testimonials – happy clients are always willing to refer and recommend a company they’ve had good dealings with. Look for testimonials for any company you’re considering – they are proof of integrity and good service.
- Fixed price service – choose a company offering a fixed price service. Some will have low fees initially but later hit you with hidden fees during the trademarking process. The lowest fees generally indicate a limited service, however the highest fee does not guarantee quality or high levels of service.
At Seriously Trademarks, we aim to provide the highest standard of service and we welcome potential new clients to ring our existing clients! We’re proud of our reputation.