You Don’t Need Lawyer to Process Your Trademark
Running a business is costly, not only in time but money and there are often unknown concerns that arise to challenge even the savviest entrepreneur. So, it will come as a relief to business owners to learn that they don’t need to pay high lawyer fees to manage the registration and processing of trademarks.
In Australia, a Trademark Specialist who holds a Trademark Attorney Code from IP Australia, the body that administers Australia’s intellectual property (IP) rights system, can legally register and process a Trademark on behalf of a business.
In most cases, the Trademark Specialist also offers many benefits not available from traditional legal firms.
- Lower cost – the Trademark Specialist will usually charge an overall consultant fee rather than an hourly rate. This cost can blow out with lawyers if there are challenges with the Trademark.
- Creativity – the Trademark Specialist will often think ‘outside the box’ and be able to develop a workable trademark as they are qualified in researching and creating business names.
- Expertise – the Trademark Specialist will work directly on your account without delegating the job to an associate.
- Protection – the Trademark Specialist understands the specific needs of your business and will seek to protect the name that you really want.
How to choose a Trademark Specialist
Once you have decided to engage a Trademark Specialist, there are some important questions to ask before making the final investment.
- Ask for their Trademark Attorney Code from IP Australia.
- Request to speak to past clients.
- Inquire into their length of experience in registering Trademarks.
- Find out how they manage issues with the processing of the Trademark if these arise. Will they work hand-in-hand with you to resolve these?
- Ask for a written quote on the details of the total fee.
Working with a Trademark Specialist can truly enhance the success of your business. In many cases, they can become a trusted adviser as your business grows both locally and internationally. Work on a branding protection strategy as the business expands outside of Australia.
Trademarking is affordable for all companies, especially in Australia, whether you are a start up or an established business. Don’t be afraid to enquire about trademarking your business.